Curriculum Statement: English
‘Excellence, Truth and Grace’
‘Summing it all up, friends, I’d say you’ll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies.’
Philippians 4: 8-9
At Middleton Parish Church School, we believe that a quality Literacy (English) curriculum should develop children’s love of reading, writing and oracy.
Children will become:
- Ready to Learn It is our intent to work with and support parents to embed a love of reading and in the nurturing of positive reading habits.
- Respectful pride in presentation of work, care of books, knowledge gained, understanding how reading underpins the whole curriculum
- Reflective We understand that a good grasp of English is the bedrock of the entire curriculum
Aspirational children who are confident and adept readers, writers and communicators, will be empowered to succeed in all other areas. We believe that at all children, regardless of background, will become fluent, insightful readers and technically skilled, creative writers and articulate communicators.
- Children are ready to Learn home visits before EYFS with a focus for early development and a love of reading. Rigorous implementation plan for phonics and early reading. Clear intervention strategies for children who are not making age related expectations. Fine motor skills, pre writing mark making, orally expressing ideas, EYFS in the moment
- Children are respectful Use of high quality WAGOLLs , diverse genre of texts, cultures,
- Children are reflective use of peer support and editing, referring back to steps to success, selection of own books, recommendation of books, links between authors/ topics/ genres of writing
- Children are aspirational cultural capital
Through engagement in English sessions, the children of Middleton Parish Church School will reach age related expectations in reading, writing and SPaG. Children will develop their confidence in both spoken and written language in preparation for High School and the wider world.